This Question was asked earlier this week as we (fellow members of the Esquimalt Lions) were setting up our Tents and Table’s in preparations for the Esquimalt Celebration of Light Parade and Entertainment on December 03 2013.
To join a Service Organization of the size and positive impact like the Lions Clubs International, to me is a privilege and honour that I am very proud of.
Being able to Serve our Esquimalt, Greater Victoria, National as well as International activities is such a pleasure to be part of that it is hard not to be smiling as I am writing this article.
Granted I am one of the newest members of the Esquimalt Lions, however I did previously belong to the Pitt Meadows Lions in the late 1980’s until I moved to Vancouver Island.
So my experience with Lions International is interrupted yet I have always have had a close relationship with various Lions related activities over the years.
Oh, By the Way, All Service Clubs (including the Esquimalt Lions) would love it if you want to learn more about what we do, be sure to ask any member of any of your local Service Organization, or just Talk To Peter, and I would love to share my stories with you.
Let me explain why being part of the Esquimalt Lions is so important to me in the form of a short summary of my involvement to date, not to boast, just to show you how very little can mean so much to so many.…. During my first month at the Esquimalt Lions, we have worked on 4 different fund-raising activities in different ways and raising money for those that need it.
- Lions sold (and bought) coupon books.
- Lions Served Hot Chocolate and Hot-Dogs at a few Events and Venues and put smiles and good cheer into thousands of people of all ages.
- Lions attended The Remembrance Day Events.
- Lions bought hearing aids for a local person.
- Lions prepared for and assisted with 2 parade’s with the Esquimalt Float.
- Lions Awarded scholarships to deserving local student.
- Lions Donated Monies to a variety of causes near and dear to Lionism.
- Lions Committed to support The Skate With Santa.
- Lions committed to Support kids have a Fun Day on board one of our Navy Ships.
- Lions Committed to Fund Raise For a large Feature in a local Park for the kids.
Those are just some of the things Esquimalt Lions is involved in or working on (remember, that’s just in my first month with the club).
It is just amazing how many great people are coming together and sharing their spare time, their energy, effort, money and good spirit to make a positive difference in the lives of our community and neighbours.
Off course the Esquimalt Lions are not unique, there are many Service Clubs, (Lions or otherwise). I selected Joined the Esquimalt Lions, as so many of our Friends and Clients have a past of present connection with Esquimalt.
Lions do what we do because it needs to get done, it is just that simple… We do it with a smile and warmth in our heart and a loving spirit for our Community.