With all the pressures and changes that always occur in Real Estate, many agents want to take their business to the next level of professionalism and productivity, and in doing so decide to hire a Real Estate Assistant in order to delegate some of the administrative activities.
Over the years I have experienced some Real Estate Assistant success stories and have seen a number of horror stories in real life to know that show clearly that there is a lot more to it than just placing an ad and hire the right assistant, that will solve all your problems….
Here is some of the feedback I heard from Real Estate Assistants;
- Once I was hired, I was left to my devices to figure things out and to get things fixed.
- The Agent had no real clue exactly what they did in any degree of detail, with their administration, book-keeping, systems, marketing campaigns etc.
- The Agent was too Busy to teach / train me.
- I was worried about making mistakes or breaking the law….
- I did not have any reference materials about the operations to build from.
- I was hired as an Independent contractor, but Revenue Canada did not agree.
- I was expected to not just fix operations, but also “fix” my Agent.
- Communications between the agent, the clients and the office was very challenging for a long time.
- The Agent clearly was (partly to totally) unprepared for hiring me and it took a long time to work out the kinks.
Keep in mind I only asked Real Estate Assistants currently working, the point being, these assistants survived the above list of challenges and complications to make the transition from a Single Agent to working as a Team (moving from Me to We).
While training many aspiring and currently working Professional Real Estate Assistants (PRA’s) in our very intensive 6 day PRA foundations course, we often heard Assistants comment that they wished there was a program/ course, book/ system that would help the agent (with or without the assistant) to prepare better to work with an assistant.
So we developed a 3 hour How to Hire a Real Estate Assistant course and work book that offers agents that are thinking about (or are just starting with) a Real Estate Assistant, a very clear road map, and set of activities to follow that will dramatically improve the results from this possibly difficult and costly transition period in your real estate practice.
- The Pro's and Cons of Assistants.
- Assistant Types, Relationships & Options.
- The Transition from Single Agent to Team.
- Your Business Plan, Objectives, Structure, Legal and other Considerations.
- Job Descriptions, Systems, Operations & Requirements.
- Licensed Vs. Un-Licensed, Employee, Contractor, Compensation Etc.
- Talent Scouting, Advertising, Interviews, Testing, Due Diligence.
- Personalities, Competence, Skills, Qualities and Weaknesses.
- Training - Can YOU do it?
- Communication, Implementation, Accountability.
- Challenges and Victories.
Over a period of 90 days (12 weeks) here are some of the key the steps that will prepare you up to (re) create a SMART-ER Real Estate Team and working successfully with a Real Estate Assistant;
- Week 1: Define (in great detail) what your life and business will look like once you have (a) professional real estate assistant(s) working with you.
- Week 1: Describe (in great detail) exactly what you do, each and every hour of each and every day for this entire week, and keep adding to it over the balance of the 8 following weeks. use key business and personal life categories.
- Week 2: Collect all your manuals, (Systems, Software, Equipment, Services, Policies etc.); See an Accountant & Lawyer; Research Contracts; Determine Local Pay Scale.
- Week 3: Detail all the Activities (as described in your first week); Start on an Operational Manual.
- Week 4: Continue work started during the previous week; Systematize Activities; Complete a Personality Test on yourself;
- Weeks 5& 6: Create Budgets; Complete Legal Preparations; Finalize Operational Manual, Systems and Applications.
- Week 7: Complete Detailed Job Descriptions (yours as well as those for your Real Estate Assistant (s).
- Week 8: Advertise, Find & Select Your Potential Real Estate Assistant.
- Week 9 – 12: Hire Professional Assistant; Get Assistant Properly Trained, and up and running; Fine Tune Systems & Operations.
In our Course and workbook we provide you with the detailed steps, the resources and a complete fill in the blanks template to work from to complete your journey from: “ Me to We” in 90 days and be on your way having hired and working with a Real Estate Assistant. Check out and register for our next live on line “How To Hire The Right Assistant! 90 Days From Me to We” Program on a Computer screen near you……